Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Diet advice

The simple breakdown goes like this.Convert your bodyweight from kg to pounds by multiplying kg x 2.2046.

To gain weight eat 20 times your bodyweight in calories,ie 75kg x 2.2046 = 165lb x 20 =3300 calories.

To maintain is 15 times your bodyweight in calories ie 75kg x 2.2046 = 165lb x 15 =2475 calories.

To lose weight its 10 times your bodyweight ie 75kg x 2.2046 = 165lb x 10 1650 calories.

The macronutrient breakdown is 35% protein,50% fat and 15% carbohydrates.

Protein has 4 calories per gram,carb has 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram.

3300 calories = 1155 calories from protein = 288 grams,1650 calories from fat = 183 grams,495 calories from carbs = 123 grams.This breakdown is the same for all categories.Try and eat most of your carbs within 2 hours after your workout.Try and eat 6 meals per day.

After 6 weeks assess your diet and make adjustments,be honest with yourself in regards to missed meals and junk youve eaten.

The best carb sources are fruit and veg.The best fat sources are nuts,oils,avacado,fish oil tabs.The best protein sources are meat,eggs,chicken,fish,milk and whey protein powder.

If you want full nutrition panels on everything you eat to help you calculate how many grams of protien, carbs and fat you are eating try this link

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/tools/caloriecounter.aspx

Pretty user friendly just click on the icons to pick a food group, then enter quantity you consumed and it will calculate the nutrition panel for you. Really helpful and easy to understand.

Edited by little_miss_S13

Thanks for that little miss S13

Anyone need any more info???

For serious weight gain,check my massive eating thread

10 times bodyweight....preferably on the Anabolic Diet

50% fat? are you sure. i was told 30% max. eating high fat foods cant be healthy

Read the book Fats that heal,Fats that kill,then report back what you have learnt,rather than what the guy who mows your uncles bosses lawn told you.

M&M maybe for the sake of others that don't know you might want to clarify that 50% of Fats should be in the form of a 3:2 ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 Fats.

Eating 50% of bad fats a day will do you no good, cause heart disease and cause problems etc.

You need to make sure the fats you consume are from sources such as Fish, nuts, flaxseed oil etc in the right ratio with the Omega 6 fats from cereals, grains, vegetable oils, eggs & polutry etc.

I am by no means an expert on this but hopefully this provide a little more clarification on what he means by 50% fat intake.

In my opinion I still think 50% from fats is a bit high as per your breakdown as id rather get more protein into the body

35% protein,50% fat and 15% carbohydrates.

I would do something like this instead -

50% Protein, 35% Fat and 15% Carbohydrates.

Protein is the key to muscle growth, life's to short to be small so bulk up you bitch ass niggas and crackers.

Read the big thread for a comprahensive break down.

To eat 2200 calories of protein for a 100kg guy is not smart or needed,which is what a 100kg guy would have to eat on a mass diet,thats close to 600gms of protein a day,way too excesesive.

Your figures sound okay in isolation,but not too good when applied to the actual diet.

The problem is you need 20 times bodyweight to gain,its not just fat or carbs,its calories first,then the breakdown.You cannot work in 50% protein. If I was to eat 600gms a day divided by 6 meals,that equates to 100gms per meal,do you think the body could digest all that without damaging organs on a 100kg guy ????

wholly fark 100g per meal?! :blink:

I think for my weight my total daily intake of protein is like around 100g :lol: :lol:

M&M I see what you mean.

I never did the maths behind it, but I can see your reasoning now.

35% calories from Protein sounds ideal for a natural athlete's protein intake for the day.

According to most experts the body is inefficient in its natural state when it comes to protein synthesis approx 30% of it is NOT absorbed (eg: you consume 200gms protein a day your body only absorbs 140gms)

To gain weight eat 20 times your bodyweight in calories,ie 75kg x 2.2046 = 165lb x 20 =3300 calories.

M&M does this diet thing work without the fitness regime/workouts?? I've been trying to put on weight for years, been to personal trainer & dietician/nutritionist - very expensive & no results! :( And all the nutritionist's diet plan gave me was bad skin!? So I'm taking on any suggestions now....

Give me your height and weight,your activity level and what your currently eating.Also your age and gender.

Just so you all know, exercise is alot better than a deficit in the amount of calories you consume. For a good diet plan, check out www.abcbodybuilding.com

Which is better if you could only do one....excersise or diet ????

Its a no brainer......diet.

Gyms are full of people who train hard,eat crap,and look like crap.

The mindset seems to be "I'll just burn it off".It takes 2 hours of walking to burn off 1 Big Mac.Easier to not eat the Big Mac I reckon.

People should only excersise to the level of their diet.

I have seen some diets where the only excersise I would recommend would be tricep kick backs....once a week.

Plus Tristan,mon is trying to gain weight....why would he/she have a calorie deficit????

Some of your advice is very dodgy,do you just read other forums and quote without trying first???

On this forum,we try and keep the information accurate,even though Simon and I have slightly different ideas on carb intake,the information is accurate.

If you want to go on a forum and quote rubbish,please visit bodybuilding.com.....where anyone can post what they like....regardless of the accuracy.

I will always pull people up here with inaccurate information,not different,just downright wrong.

I do not want this forum to be reduced to the utter crap found on most bodybuilding forums,where you get one intelligent guy to 5,000 morons posting garbage.

Please enjoy our forum,try not to drag it down.

Just so you all know, exercise is alot better than a deficit in the amount of calories you consume. For a good diet plan, check out www.abcbodybuilding.com

Heres something for you to think about Tristan s13.

The most awarded weight loss centre in Australia is the Wesley Weight Loss Clinic in Brisbane.

This centre works out of the Wesley Hospital, they are world reknow for thier activities in management of weight loss and health.

All weight loss is monitored by a board of doctors whom are noted as being the best in thier fields.

Everyone to attend this clinic has lost weight some 60-70kgs. The only exlusions being those who have a health issue which is found out in thier initial screenings.

The way in which the loose weight is from DIET only. They ask thier clients to not do any exercise untill the maintenance phase. (where their weight reaches thier goal).

The reason they do this is simply because its saves in cost on the client. Exercise as well increases the amount of food one needs to get thier metabolism continuing at the state required.

The site you reccomended reccomends the opposite of yourself. Look at thier "13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning - The Diet" it has a wholesectiont on lowering calories over the 13 weeks, maybe you should shoot them an email as well!!

Before you post something like that you may want to take the time to read what has been posted and do some research.

Oh yeah, welcome.... :)

Five things in life I love

-Girlfriend

-Family

-Friends

-Gym

-My car

I was about 68kgs about 12 months ago, I ended up joining Fitness First at Park st, Sydney in Feb 06, since then for the first 2-3 months i was training consistantly at the gym 3 days a week.

As I really got into it I then went 5 days a week, Mon - Tues - Weds - Thurs - Fri.

for about 12 months I trained hard, dieting right and resting is important aswell. Now after 12 months I've put on 7 kgs I'm now wieghing 75kgs.

12 months ago I was a skinny 22 yo I hated it now I think MAN this is the best thing Ive done for myself ever.

But since the new year xmas etc etc I got lazy and wasnt as motivated to train. But now Im back into it again, Slowly but surely.

Went to the gym today which was pretty hard getting back into it and trying to lift what you use to lift but I feel weaker cause I haven't trained properly in 3 weeks.

But all muscel memory after my work out I was pumped again :D can't wait to hit the gym again tomorrow.

The Calorie counter is great!! I never really understood how that worked and how much you should consume.

What about how much protien you should be taking on a day to day diet?

You see I want to grow just a lil bigger and be alot more cut than I am now.

^ LOL I started gym around the same time you did, got rid of my fat and was getting muscle and then stopped 2 months after... If i didnt stop I probly would have been just like you..

Im 67k and 22

How tall are you ? im 158cm

Ive seen guys add on over 25 kilos in the span of 12 months, theirsecret?

They ate.

yeah but any idiot can put on 25kgs, half of australia is obease, (how much of that was muscle)?

Hey, ive tried doing all the stuff, and worked out this:

FAT: 716.5g

PRO:501.55g

CARB:214.95g

FAT:79.61cal

PRO:125.3875cal

CARB:53.7375cal

And i've figured out what i eat equals:

FAT:61g

PRO:71g

CARB:130g

and that is WAY lower then my levels, that does not include dinner, as my dinner varies each night so i need to leave room for it.

Here is what I have figured out that i eat, i need more meals. please help with them.

BREAKFAST:

-2 Poached eggs on 2 slices of wholemeal toast

-2 Glasses of milk

-1 Banana

LUNCH:

-1 sliced turkey, cheese and mayonaise sandwich on wholemeal bread(w/butter)

-30g dry roasted cashews(No salt)

I used the nineMSN thing that lil miss s13 provided, thats what the total is.

dinner is usually something revolving around chicken...

Thanks in advance for help

Edited by 1990_S13

Your protein intake isnt enough for a starving Ethiopian....I have 71gms in my protein drink upon waking.

Care to help?

If i need to supplement protein, would it be more benefecial to have protein pills or a protein shake? I'm guessing protein shake UNLESS you take the pills with milk?

Edited by 1990_S13

Try swallowing 30 protein pills with milk and you'll soon change to powder.

You need to really increase each of your meals. 2 eggs should accompany something substantial like oats or add some bacon. A slice of turkey would weigh stuff all and 1 sandwich is nothing. A large chicken breast is going to give you a lot more protein.

Here's an example of one of my better days from my journal.

Breakfast 6:45: Oats with 150g milk; 30g protein with 500ml milk, 5 fish oil tabs

Snack 10:15: 125g chicken, avocado, cucumber

Lunch 1:30: 100g tuna, wholemeal roll, cheese; 30g protein with 500ml milk

Snack 3:45: 100g cashews, peanuts, almonds

Snack 5:30: 100g chicken, avocado, cucumber; apple

6:15-7:15 GYM

7:30 30g protein with 500ml milk, 5 fish oil tabs

Dinner 8:00: chicken stirfry with veg

Snack 9:30: 150g yoghurt

Snack 10:30 125g cottage cheese

woud ya like to help? as i said, my dinner varies each night so i cant fix that.

thats not all i eat every day but i just need help with what else i should eat. im pretty picky too.