Sign in to follow this  
Jumunji

Front and Rear Tyres - Where to Spend Your money?

Hey guys in the next few months my silvia will start making some decent power and I'm looking to invest in some decent quality rubber so I can actually get that power down. I have done some reading and have done some searching and can't seem to find much about my question. Which is do you invest in good quality tread all round or are the front or rears more important than one another. If so what tends to be the more important pair? In terms of tyre choice it seems like everyone has their own opinion but RSR's or Re002/RE003's seems to be a good tyres (once again advice is highly appreciated) car is street driven but doesn't get driven heaps, mainly on weekends and after work at night.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Caydenn :)

i always get 4 of the same.

if you are skidding its probably worth while having a cheap set of rear wheels you can throw shit tyres on.

Yeah get the same all round . Also if you have the same rims all round you can rotate them now and then. I'm partial to potenzas on a daily streeter, but each to thier own.

don't like RS-R they harden up too quick and end up cracking a nice line through the tread.

Get some like a Hankook RS3 or Nitto NT05 and invest in a proper diff. The vlsd is gay as aids.

i get 4 of the same, jsut different sizes front to back.

agree with the federal comment however my fronts have lasted 3 years of weekend kinda work. and worked well in teh wet too!

FYI re003 are not in the same class as RSR or RS3 NT05 etc.

the re003 on my mrs xr5t work a treat and i bought htem for a good all rounder that will go the distance. on her car they go great.

on my silvia i binned the re002's....on the 16's. RSR on my 18's were beyond night and day difference in grip levels! rightly so too, rsr;s are a lot softer.

Rsrs, don't go hard in my experience and offer up the same grip no matter how many heat cycles I put through it. Yes they get a crack line where the tread is joined and has been noted that it's no problem. Rs3 offer similar grip in the dry but are shit in the wet and cost a lot more. If you want a great looking tyre that offers good dry grip and exceptional wet get the ns2r from nankang. It'll last longer than any of the tyres listed and offers the same grip level on the street. Rsr and rs3 only offer up better grip when you get them exceptionally hot which really doesn't happen on the street. Also get a good set of front pads

FYI re003 are not in the same class as RSR or RS3 NT05 etc.

the re003 on my mrs xr5t work a treat and i bought htem for a good all rounder that will go the distance. on her car they go great.

on my silvia i binned the re002's....on the 16's. RSR on my 18's were beyond night and day difference in grip levels! rightly so too, rsr;s are a lot softer.

I'm assuming here that you're saying that the Federal RSR's were fantastic to drive? Are the Re003's below or above the RSR's/RS3's?

Edited by Jumunji

I like Nitto Invos for street. held up well on the track too.

treadwear is a bit brutal though for street tyres.

All round same tire brand, wider on the rear is also a must. 235 front 245 rear etc..

This will then push you into wheel choices and guard work to make them fit.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming here that you're saying that the Federal RSR's were fantastic to drive? Are the Re003's below or above the RSR's/RS3's?

wouldn't say they're fantastic.. they're just good value for money...

RE003 are definitely below a RS3

yep re003 are a sporty every day driver kind of tire aimed at stock sports cars - WRX for example. where stock suspension works well for these tires.

they are "louder" than stock tires, but they handle well, go good in the wet, last good. I have always found bridgestones performance line to have those attributes but slid too much when I upgraded suspension and powers in my silvia....

RSR's will wear out quickly on the streets. they are night and day different to re003, due to stiffer sidewalls and softer rubber.

I get about a year out of the rears with about 250/260rwkw

To extend on the OP's question, will tire size make much difference in grip? As in different width/profile/diameter giving better grip on the same tire. Is it just a matter of calculating the contact patch for best grip?

• Downvote 1

I agree mostly with your post.. Ive run re002 and federal rsr on my 180sx however this claim is not really informative.

My rears lasted barely 3000km...of bendys and thats with only 150kw.

As far as sizes go I really dont think bigger is better... If a 305 was the best of the best every premium sports car would be rolling on them from factory.

Edited by Junny

I much prefer a square setup (front/rear same size). feels like the car doesnt understeer as much?

Camber plays a major role in tyre wear too. once that inside edge is on the marker you can be booked for bald tyres.

I agree mostly with your post.. Ive run re002 and federal rsr on my 180sx however this claim is not really informative.

As far as sizes go I really dont think bigger is better... If a 305 was the best of the best every premium sports car would be rolling on them from factory.

The tyre would have worn an edge. You wouldn't have worn the tyre to bauld in that amount of time. I've got more than 3000km with circuit and mountain use. Bigger isn't better especially for circuit cars when getting them to temp is super important. Same goes for street but less effected. No benifit to go any bigger than a 245 or 255 in the rear and a 235 is heaps up front.

Beyond a certain tyre size, the tyres just never heat up to the right temperature, so you actually wind up with less grip. Especially on cold days. Having a heavier car heats the tyres more, which is actually why heavier cars tend to utilise larger tyres. Nothing to do with power to weight ratios (check out Lotuses)

Funnily enough with wider tyres, you don't actually get a larger contact patch with the road at all. It just changes shape. But other, more complicated stuff to do with tyre deformation and sidewalls do result in a little more grip, however it's nothing compared to running at the right temp, hence why there's a sort of bell curve where gains from increasing tyre size diminish rapidly (less grip => less friction => less heat into tyre => can't get tyres up to temp => less grip)

Edited by Skepticism

okk to firm it up, 5000-8000kms i get out of the rears depending on how hard its street driven and how many hills are had. sometimes more when its just grandpa driven...

the fronts have seen 2 changes on the car in 5 years on the car and are bald inside. need replacing about 6 months ago. so they woulda traveled in the order or 15000 kms ?? yeah im a pretty good law abiding citizen on the street :)

will you get that? probably not !

but re002/3 vs RSR are massive notable differences in handling and performance from my experience. take what you will.

i agree about sizes too, R18 x 235 front 255 back (closest to stock rolling diameter too FYI ) are very much suitable for grip levels. i will probably be going back for a 4th set of rsr soon.

Another tick for the Nitto Invos, I'm running 245 and 265 and a couple of pulls to warm them up on the track and they perform well, hold heat too.

Thinking I'll try NT05 next time tho in 265 or 295 as they're a little softer

Anyone got comparison lap times w Invo and similar tyres? Could be that USA has different compound (true for some manufacturers) but Invos didn't review that well on this comparo http://www.caranddri...tto-invo-page-4

Thinking my next tyre will prob be AD08R as its hard to find anything decent in 16"

Edited by Skepticism

What is a good site to compare tires and reviews? Wouldn't mind comparing reviews on some of the tires mentioned.

I have always used/liked Yokohama advan tyres. At the moment I'm running advan sport,they weren't cheap but the performance is awesome with heaps of grip and when they start to let go it is very progressive and predictable. Had this set on for 6 years and probably done around 5000 kms and are nearly down to the indicator bars. My car is rarely driven, but when I do it usually is in the hills and driven reasonably hard. This tyre has an upgraded model now but my next set will be the Advan Neova which will give more grip but less kms which is not problem for me as the car is very low km, rarely driven.

Edited by S15 sxytime

I have always used/liked Yokohama advan tyres. At the moment I'm running advan sport,they weren't cheap but the performance is awesome with heaps of grip and when they start to let go it is very progressive and predictable. Had this set on for 6 years and probably done around 5000 kms and are nearly down to the indicator bars. My car is rarely driven, but when I do it usually is in the hills and driven reasonably hard. This tyre has an upgraded model now but my next set will be the Advan Neova which will give more grip but less kms which is not problem for me as the car is very low km, rarely driven.

The advan ad08 /rs3 and rsr are nearly all identical in performance and tyre wear I've tried all three.

I'm not a brand fan snob but I do believe you get what you pay for. Not doubting your experiences but I mostly believe that a tyre from Yokohama made in Japan will be of a higher quality compared a tyre from China/Taiwan and I'm happy to stick with that tyre for my S15. But I'm not saying that Federal or Nankang are shit,because I have Nankang tyres ony 1971 mk1 XL 1600 Capri and I am happy with their performance although that car has only 98hp and 205/60/13 tyres

you buy tyres to suit the requirements of your car.

sport or family car, if your not thrashing it, cheap decent china shit is all you need

drive the car hard now and then, yeah get something half decent street tyres

actually care for car handling, best street tyres you can afford

track hero, best street tyres/semi slicks.

on that note i run Hankook RS3 for track and daily + have used semi slicks and that would be ideal (except for wet daily drives) if money was not a problem

Nobody should drive with shit tyres, nevermind the car.. ghetto tyres are downright scary once it rains, and if anything you're way more likely to ahve your brain smeared across the windscreen if you crash a 20 year old hyundai

Edited by Skepticism

YEP i agree totally. i went for a cheaper nitto last time on the xr5, while it was ok and good enough in the dry, int he wet was outright scary after 1 year. the ESC on these cars is wicked but id hate for those tires to be on my s15.

so to save a few bux and i mean $200 less than the re003 (yep they were buy 3 get 4th free - kinda special) it aint worth it. dont care how much of a shit box you drive, what about hte other car you could hit / kill people due to cheap / hard as f**k tires.

tire choice is a pretty important thing in my books. plus who wants to be spinning tires loosing races off the lights when you could just hook up? i mean i dont condone street racing at all.

sport or family car, if your not thrashing it, cheap decent china shit is all you need

I prefer good tyres on the daily and family car, don't want to kill my occupants when it doesn't stop or a tyre bursts on the highway.

No one should ever run cheap tyres unless it's a burnout comp or a skids session.