Sign in to follow this  
nsta

Comp test results....your thoughts?

Hey guys I had a quick comp test done on my car today, was wondering if I should get a second opinion and test done on it. Don't know whether the car will last and whether to keep it anymore as I've thrown quite a bit of money into it already.

Results = 130/150/150/150

after retesting cylinder 1 i still got a 130 reading so it feels a little low compared to others.

Car does drive great though. I managed to work out an ongoing issue I had with it ( coil loom faulty causing misfire and stall etc)

Test was done when the motor was warm.... no oil was put into the cylinder wall to test

Thoughts?

Edited by nsta

Put oil in the bore to rule out the rings.

Its slightly out of spec according to the workshop manual but if it doesn't have any running symptom's I wouldn't worry about it too much

#ifitaintbrokedontfixit :P

For a 15+ year old motor, its perfect. Turn up the boost.

It's not perfect but if it's not burning oil or blowing your dip stick out just keep driving it until it lets go. Might be an idea to get the tune checked however and if your running stock injectors maybe get them cleaned/flow tested/upgraded as the low comp position could be running lean compared to the others.

Thanks for the responses!! Definitely not losing any oil and my 555cc injectors literally just got ultrasonic bathed and cleaned new tips/o rings etc.

Plans...it's currently running a 2871r setup at around 18psi was hoping to keep it running at around its current power 235rwkw for another year or two...?? Possible

Edited by nsta

From my own experience with SRs is that even with lowish compression they still keep going. Before I had the engine in my old 180 years ago rebuilt it ran pretty well with lowish compression, was a bit laggy to get on boost but still drove ok until it blew the oil dipstick out and sprayed oil all over the turbo manifold when giving it a boot which scared the shit out of me.

I would say get the tune checked and keep driving it till the blow by gets so bad that you have a dipstick incident like I did. Then you know its definitely time for a rebuild.