Sign in to follow this  
s15rocket

Electronic boost controller choice for 2017

I'm in the market for a new EBC.

What's everyone using in 2017?

My previous s15 had an AVCR but that was a bit of a pain to set up and not that easy to wire into your ECU. It also seems to have a lot of features you don't really need. But overall it was a good boost controller but I did notice it was a little prone to boost spiking (over boost protection is something it lacks). Also it reads in BAR only and I prefer to see my boost in PSI.

Here is some other EBCs I've been looking at.

GFB boost controller. AU $330.00 Cheap for the features it has Seriously considering this one because it looks easy to install. But lacks gear by gear boost control like an avcr. but do you really need it?

http://www.ebay.com....D8AAOSwB09YGouI

Greddy Profec AU $499.00 Fairly expensive and I don't really like the control pad thing. As I will most likely be putting mine in the glove box anyway.

http://www.ebay.com....sEAAOSwa39UtxAG

Turbosmart Eboost Street AU $400.00 Looks kinda ugly and basic.

http://www.ebay.com....1u1jVCt1S-oB96A

Greddy profec b spec 2 AU $320.00 -Surprised to still see these for sale but still seem to have a good rep. Good price too.

http://www.ebay.com....OwAAOSwQM9UaS~H

TURBOSMART * 60mm e-Boost2 - AU $650 Dont really like the round dial thing. I dont like mounting things inside the car. Its a magnet to car thieves. Expensive too.

http://www.ebay.com....5MAAOSwsB9WDPsH

New HDi hybrid AU $157 - By far the cheapest and seem to perform well. Closed loop?

http://www.ebay.com....kcAAOSwd4tT9akV

Just to list a few. Feel free to write your opinion and experience with boost controllers.

Do you really need a boost by gear or rpm (hooked into the ecu) boost controller?

Or will just a simple HDi or GFB one do?

Edited by s15rocket

I'm using the Greddy Profec OLED in my S15.

I like the interface, the display looks good & is easy to read.

I'm only running very low boost until the car gets tuned, so I can't really comment on its full capability.

It definitely spools up much quicker than the OEM setup though.

I have the following EBC's for sale if you decide to go for any of these:

-HKS EVC 5... $350

-Apexi AVC-R... $300

-Blitz Dual SBC... $300

Mines all controlled through my ecu with 4d mapping. No point in boost controllers if you have a good ecu these days.

Even Nistune can control boost nowadays, making it possible to set right depending on the fuel you run

I have the Greddy Profect OLED and its great.

easy install, good features, easy to read display.

The Display/control unit is tiny, can easily be stowed out of the way if you dont want to keep it on the dash.

I think if you have a decent ECU its worth using that instead, but still nice to have a standalone unit/controller you can set to low boost to let other people drive it or disable completely.

Even Nistune can control boost nowadays, making it possible to set right depending on the fuel you run

I am getting a Nistune but I couldn't see anything online or their website about being able to control boost with them? Link?

If Nistune can control boost I'd definitely being going that route (providing its good).

Edit:

Found this on their facebook but apparently its only for R34 and s14/s15?

Will it work on s13 180sx? (edit: I've sent a message to nistune to see if will work with my type x, will update).

https://www.nistune....20Pack%20V2.pdf

Edited by s15rocket

I would do some research about using Nistune for boost control before going in that direction.

While it does sound good in theory, it seems to be quite complex to set up correctly.

Not basing this off personal experience, only what I have read on the Nistune forum.

I'm installing a Nistune board soon but will be keeping my Profec for boost control.

I have the Greddy Profect OLED and its great.

easy install, good features, easy to read display.

The Display/control unit is tiny, can easily be stowed out of the way if you dont want to keep it on the dash.

I think if you have a decent ECU its worth using that instead, but still nice to have a standalone unit/controller you can set to low boost to let other people drive it or disable completely.

You can set high/low boost switches or boost trim knobs on decent ecus as well.

I've just installed an aem tru boost. It was really easy to install and setup. Plus the fact it's all part of a boost gauge meant one less thing to have to wire up in the car

i have a HKS EBC 6 or 7 colour one. does the job nicely. no complaints here. easy enough to set up.

3 boost settings at touch of fingertip.

but as said before. good quality ECU will be better to integrate the boost into the tune through the ecu, better for engine protection as well. all being controlled from one source point.

i have a HKS EBC 6 or 7 colour one. does the job nicely. no complaints here. easy enough to set up.

3 boost settings at touch of fingertip.

but as said before. good quality ECU will be better to integrate the boost into the tune through the ecu, better for engine protection as well. all being controlled from one source point.

I would do some research about using Nistune for boost control before going in that direction.

While it does sound good in theory, it seems to be quite complex to set up correctly.

Not basing this off personal experience, only what I have read on the Nistune forum.

I'm installing a Nistune board soon but will be keeping my Profec for boost control.

Yes and it looks like its unavailable for s13. I just received an email back from Nistune and they told me it only works for s14a/s15 and R34 ecu at this stage.

RHDJapan have a sale on greddy profec OLED right now. Can get one delivered for around $400 from Japan. Not bad. I love how easy these are to install (ive been reading the install manual). It only has one thin wire leading to the cabin. The rest of the gear like vacuum hose etc sits in the engine bay.

Also still considering the AVCR. Pain in the ass to hook up and not sure I can be bothered with it, but second hand ones can be had for cheap like the one 200VIA is selling for $300.

Ordered a Greddy Profec OLED from RHDJapan recently. Basically cost me $330 with free postage, since I was already ordering big items that had high postage, and I found that adding a Profec for didn't increase the cost. Can't argue with the price on that.

Ordered a Greddy Profec OLED from RHDJapan recently. Basically cost me $330 with free postage, since I was already ordering big items that had high postage, and I found that adding a Profec for didn't increase the cost. Can't argue with the price on that.

Just bought some Nismo 740cc for RHDJapan. Great website. They give loyalty discounts. I did notice the Profec OLED is on sale right now now (24 hours remaining). Debating whether or not to buy it. Its only AUD $338 which smashes any price on ebay by about $150 but I noticed there is a few hidden costs. Like a currency conversion fee. My injectors we like $520 but once you add in postage which is usually around $20 and this currency conversion fee they cost me around $600. Still a good price for these injectors compared to what other websites are selling them for.

Edit:

Decided to buy the Greddy Oled since its upgradable and super easy to install and use (also I wanted something more modern and a bit different). Cost on RHDJapan was $338, but $21 for shipping and a currency conversion fee the final price ended up being

Exchange rate $394.67 AUD = ¥32,796 JPY 1 AUD = 83.1 JPY This is according to my paypal account. Anyway still a good price and much cheaper than anything on ebay and other websites. Excited to get it and install it now! :D

Edited by s15rocket

HKS EVC or Blitz Dual SBC will hold boost rock solid.

Nistune is ok for controlling boost, but when you want to dial boost down for the track or when your family/mates drive the car you need to plug back up to make changes.

I still prefer standalone boost controllers unless you're running an ecu that allows an external pot to adjust boost or a basic input to switch between high and low.

That's a very good price for the Greddy Profec.

I'd say you won't be disappointed with it.

So my enormous parcel arrived from RHD Japan, strangley packaged but mostly ok. First time I've seen such a massive box unpartitioned, with the parts wrapped in bubble wrap and some random bits of newspaper and bean bags in it that could not in any way fill the space. Couple of tiny scratches on the S15 upper bumper support bracket, but otherwise all was well. Checked out the Greddy Profec and it seems good. Everything was in the box except a sticker to put inside my toolbox, and all the parts were quite obviously new and untouched, which is excellent.

One thing to note about the Greddy display unit is that it actually looks alright in person, despite looking unbelievably tacky in the online photos. Doesn't mean I won't hide it like everything else in the car, but it's worth noting that were you to install it in view, you probably won't vomit every time you look at it. The fit and finish of the buttons and dial seem extremely good too, like it were a high-end phone.

I have mine on the dashboard (taped to one of the vents under the cluster) and it looks fine.

I have the brightness pretty low and its easy to remove from the stand so if I get pulled over I usually just unclip it and tuck it up under the dash.

Speaking of brightness, one thing I wish it had was a headlight dimming input.

The display becomes very bright at night.

I have mine sat just in front of the cluster.

20170130_093820.jpg