Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Occupiers of space.

Having been involved in football, gyms,sports coaching, fitness and powerlifting for 33 years, since the age of 12, I have gained an ability to identify people who I refer to as space occupiers. Granted, I wasnt very good at it when I was 12, I just knew that some kids werent as serious as me about my football. This has continued right through my life, whether I was lifting, coaching basketball,powerlifting or being an instructor.

You soon turn your focus onto the ones that really want to succeed, thay are just too stupid currently, Ghosty comes immiediatlly to mind. Nobody wants it more than him, he just hasnt got a very developed brain yet. I still go out of my way to help. I always will if he maintains the passion.

This forum is no different to a gym. I estimate gyms have occupiers of space as 90% of their members. I am not asking you to agree with me, just my own observation. I read every training journal, takes me ages, I comment where I need to. If I think your are on OOS, I generally dont bother.

Having said all that, I give everybody a chance, everyone has to start somewhere, but if in 3 months you havent worked out all you need is to eat well, train hard and rest, then you will soon be an OOS. Ghosty does understand that, thats why I said his brain isnt developed because he cant excecute his plan.

So if I offend some people with my comments, have a look at yourselves before sooking.

I am an occupier of space. I am just too big...there is no space left up for me to fill

what code of football did you play? im hoping its what we stupidly call soccer, its the best sport

what code of football did you play? im hoping its what we stupidly call soccer, its the best sport

When i met Markos he didn't seem like a nancy-boy, so i don't think it was soccer.

I think i'm an OOS at the moment, i don't have any goals set and my diet is up and down due to an irratic schedule. Things should be back on track in a month or 2 hopefully with some big changes happening.

not only do i occupy physical space, i waste e-space with pointless posts like this.

baha

thay are just too stupid currently, Ghosty comes immiediatlly to mind

*giggles*

Fellas, dont get me wrong, 99% of my mates who lift are occupiers of space, they are still my mates, I dont think any less of them, its just that they realise they are going through the motions, most guys on here dont.

Neil, I know you have more pressing things to sort out, much more important than your squat. I believe once you focus again you will progress like you did earlier, dont forget, I didnt touch a weight from 1996 till 2003, and that was for 3 months, then again in 2006.

Get your priorities right. Once you are stable at work and home, go 100% in the gym again.

Its just that pox stupid crap useless thread on protein powder that got me going.

You cant buy muscle in a container. Not even steroids.

I apologise in advance for any space I currently and will occupy in the future.

Work Hard, reap the rewards

id hate to know what you think of people who sit around on the dole infront of the tv all day and never even say the word 'gym'

everyone has there own opinions, and personally i try to take in as much information that currently seems usefull to me, maybe in the future different things might appeal more than others. experience decides.

plus i love being the underdog :yes: not expected to achieve anything but always progressing in one way or another.

I think I hit the same catergory as Ghosty. I have goals but due to work and uni commitments, I can't execute them properly.

It is funny though, a lot of guys absolutely kill themselves at the gym and forget the 23/1 rule.

throw me on the oos list. At least im just wasting space in another country.

Getting laid and partying has taken more priority for me at the moment. I figure while i am here i should be making the most of it and not going to bed early and never chasing the skirt.

my goal is different slightly. i prefer the skirt to be the chaser. no missing or intentional oos for me. on this forum i am neither strong or big. but on the street i get plenty of comments about my body and shape, which is nice and all but your'e not good until your good in the eyes of the people you share the same road with.

id hate to know what you think of people who sit around on the dole infront of the tv all day and never even say the word 'gym'

They are not delusional, they are not pretending to be something they are not. A guy in a power rack doing 25kg BB curls is an OOS. I am only refering to people in gyms and this website, I will leave the rest of society for others to judge.

I think I hit the same catergory as Ghosty. I have goals but due to work and uni commitments, I can't execute them properly.

It is funny though, a lot of guys absolutely kill themselves at the gym and forget the 23/1 rule.

The 23/1 rule is by far the most important aspect of lifting. Then I see threads about drinking and pill popping by a guy who the day before asked about taking steroids. I feel like Ozzy Osbourne. Really really confused.

throw me on the oos list. At least im just wasting space in another country.

Getting laid and partying has taken more priority for me at the moment. I figure while i am here i should be making the most of it and not going to bed early and never chasing the skirt.

Your on a holiday. You trained and ate as well as anybody while you were back in Oz. Dont let weights be a prison sentence. Having a sabatical is very good.

Ha ha yeh right up until i turned in jane fonda :ph34r:

But 2 years is a long holiday. I am sure i will sure i will stop being a man whore in about another 6 months LOL

Hrrmm, interesting thoughts there M&M.

I've often had similar thoughts floating round in my head, and i've come to the conclusion that if all else around me in my life is stable and content, my progress in the gym flows effortlessly.

I'll grow more easily, i'll recover quicker, i'll be stronger and have better sessions.

If things come in 2 distract me, e.g work, gf's, car mods, etc it all stops....and i begine 2 simply go through the motions...becoming a OOS (thanks for the term).

So, i guess what im sayin is we all have it in us 2 progress towards our goals, but we also all have it in us 2 b OOS at some points....we've just got 2 make the progress times far outweigh our OOS times!

Most important are short and long term goals for continual progression in the gym, and can hold off the OOS in us as much as possible.

"The 23/1 rule is by far the most important aspect of lifting. "

Forgive me for being naive, but what is the 23/1 rule?

You spend one hour in the gym and 23 out, which facet do you think is the most important ?

what's more important. the brain or the heart? like the rule, both have there own VERY important functions.

You spend one hour in the gym and 23 out, which facet do you think is the most important ?

Yes very true. you learn something new everyday i guess.

what's more important. the brain or the heart? like the rule, both have there own VERY important functions.

I think you may have missed the point. You can train your ass off, then go out and eat KFC and drink beer, eat chocolate, get 3 hours sleep, and you will look like crap.

You can not train at all, but eat only things that run,swim or fly with things that are green and grow out of the ground, and you will look alot better than the guy who lifts.

i got the point and i agreed. i just felt like bouncing the ball a bit.

what my comment refers too, is to be a successful lifter. by that i mean getting gains in all areas. you don't have to lift weights to be healthy. but you do have to eat right if you want to be a 'successfull' lifter.

I have only been able to fit in a bit of maintanence work, training maybe once or twice a week for the past 4 weeks - simply because I get up at 6.30am, go to work and finish at 11pm at night. Before I started this new job four weeks ago I had the flu which knocked me out for a further 3-4 weeks before that. So add it up I've pretty much done nothing really for the last 2 months, just maintanence work, which included test-driving a few new exercises like floor presses, pressing off pins to lockout, pressing with different width grip each set, breathing squats, overhead shrugs, powerclean to front squat to push jerk and a few others. It's been a good experience actually because I found out what my strength levels are at and when I get my life back in order and can start training regularly again I will be encorporating them into my workouts.

You soon turn your focus onto the ones that really want to succeed, thay are just too stupid currently, Ghosty comes immiediatlly to mind. Nobody wants it more than him, he just hasnt got a very developed brain yet. I still go out of my way to help. I always will if he maintains the passion.

Having said all that, I give everybody a chance, everyone has to start somewhere, but if in 3 months you havent worked out all you need is to eat well, train hard and rest, then you will soon be an OOS. Ghosty does understand that, thats why I said his brain isnt developed because he cant excecute his plan.

It's all true, and it's not limited to my lifting either.

To sum up, the way I have been living for the past 2 years is pretty much just killing time until I get my licence back in April next year. Not being able to drive has effected me so much (that's just me), I feel like I have no freedom to do anything and everything becomes a mission, for example a 5min drive to the shops becomes 30-60mins using public transport.

It's all true, and it's not limited to my lifting either.

To sum up, the way I have been living for the past 2 years is pretty much just killing time until I get my licence back in April next year. Not being able to drive has effected me so much (that's just me), I feel like I have no freedom to do anything and everything becomes a mission, for example a 5min drive to the shops becomes 30-60mins using public transport.

I know how that feels, April next year here too and it's already been 8 months :wacko: It makes life so much harder.

The 23/1 rule is by far the most important aspect of lifting. Then I see threads about drinking and pill popping by a guy who the day before asked about taking steroids. I feel like Ozzy Osbourne. Really really confused.

I can see how your confused at my recent varying posts, but the reason is i'm trying to find out what effects i previously did to myself and also find out what's out there, but i think that trying to research up on things that might regard the gym is a starting point for me, compared to just going to the gym and not relating the other 23hours of the day to it

OOS signing out