Sign in to follow this  
takai

Aluminum Suppliers in SA

I know there are some machinists on here, and other people who just generally know where to get stuff.

Trying to chase down some 100-110mm solid round and some 70-75mm solid or 75OD/50ID hollow rounds. Kind of sticking point is that Capral and Ulrich are both closed, and they never have a huge stock of offcuts anyway.

Ive been thinking about buying one of those 200kg drums off ebay full of the stuff, but im not sure whether it will be stuff ill use. So are there any places around that deal primarily in turning metal and would have a bunch of offcuts around...?

yeah, I was about to head out to capral, are they still shut?

I have a few odd bits of plate (20 - 32mm) in my private stash but thats about it, wouldnt mind a wheelie bin full off general extrusion offcuts though. I have a mate in a big engineering company, I'll have to see if I can rummage through their bin one day.

Yeah, Capral and Ulrich are both closed until Monday next (11th), so a bit of a bummer there.

I have a whole bunch of bits, but nothing long enough for what i need.

There used to be a seller on Ebay who would sell 20ga drums of random offcuts, and would sell them from Mt Barker, but i have no idea where he has gone now.

Oh yah, Caz, is that wheel in your avatar suede or leather. Got a mate lookign for a suede one.

Let us know when your 3 axis is up and running too, I have a few bits I released you can made for us

It's running, made its first official part yesterday... nothing too exciting though, just drilling a few holes in some switch plates. It will be a few more weeks before I really get up to speed with driving it and can get stuck in to some serious billet parts.

how much of that 120 and 80mm did you want, I was in capral this morning grabbing some stuff and they had an offcut of each there, from memory the 120mm bit was probably only 30mm thick, and the 80mm one might have been 50mm thick.

They have plent of offcuts of 5 - 12mm thick plate out at the moment, A5 size of 5mm for a few bucks, up to $30 for a A3 or bigger sheet of 10mm.

Cool, im hoping to get around to heading out there tomorrow when i go pick up the new chuck for my lathe tailstock.

Ill probably also do a run to Ulrich too.

Thanks

Edited by takai

i priced up some ally not long ago. theres an aluminum supplier in Edwardstown that were cheaper that both capral and Ullrich. dont remember the name, but find them in the white pages. Same street as Doyles, so deloraine?

For offcuts and stuff try Brighton Steel on Brighton Rd

Speak to Steve, He will help you out

i priced up some ally not long ago. theres an aluminum supplier in Edwardstown that were cheaper that both capral and Ullrich. dont remember the name, but find them in the white pages. Same street as Doyles, so deloraine?

Aluco: http://www.aluco.com.au/ ?

probably, give them a buzz, and get a quote, they are good on prices