Sign in to follow this  
SL33PR

Street/daily tyre reviews

Hi all

Just wondering if there used to be a tyre thread somewhere on the forums for discussion? Did a quick search but couldn't come across anything.

there's one for the the drifts and there's one for the time attacks, i don't think theres a street one though..

I started one aimed at daily driver/street tyres ages ago, never gained momentum. Probably because most people on here are bums and their daily is their skidder too :)

Fair enough. Might have to go look in the drift section although its kinda irrelevant to street use haha. A31 is it still floating around somewhere? Might be able to bump it up and get it going..

I spoke to a few tyre blokes and decided come rego I'll get some Falken 912's for the front and hunt some 2nd handers for the rear (although they're alot harder to find nowadays), I can get he falkens for 190 each (fitted). Supposedly okay grip and life in them.

Must admit I don't know alot about tyres, but when I let the last guy fit some stunners I was pretty disappointed with the turn in. They have lasted pretty well though.

Best tyres I've had on my car were bridgestone so2a's, they hard a relatively short life though.

/coolstorybro

Fair enough. Might have to go look in the drift section although its kinda irrelevant to street use haha. A31 is it still floating around somewhere? Might be able to bump it up and get it going..

It probably is but I don't think anybody even posted in it, crashed and burned pretty bad. I've changed the title of this thread & if it gets some momentum I'll tidy it up & pin it too.

I went from Federal 595s on my daily - BF XR6 Failcoon - to Kumho KU31s. 31s are way better as a daily, more grip, more progressive in the wet & not as noisy as the Federals.

595s have been rather noisy for me with crappy turn-in in the wet. The rears feel grippy in the dry, but in the wet they're just waiting to let go.

Honestly though, RSR's on the front haven't been a whole lot better. Perhaps I just unrealistic expectations of turn in, but imo Continental CSC 2's felt softer, grippier and turned in more confidently.

Tyre: Nexen N6000

Size:

Car: F

Driving:

Price:

I know this tyre is cheap but I daily and drift on them as steer tyres and I don't get understeer in any conditions and I have 33 4door(whale). Been a really good tyre for me.

This seems to go be going alright so far. Had a bit of a read up on bridgestone re002's and people seem really happy with them (i've had re001's before and they were pretty good). Bit more expensive than you 'average' street tyre though. Been quoted $400 or there abouts a pop from one mob. Going to shop around for some prices..

Another vote for kumho KU31 here on a daily.

Tyre: Kumho KU-31

Size: 225/40/18

Car: VW Golf GT

Driving: Daily & Spirited

Price: don't recall - bundled with a wheel deal

On my Golf I went from a fresh set of continental sportcontact2 to the kumhos and was pleasantly surprised by how quiet and well behaved they were for every day use with the occasional spirited drive.

People say they get noisier with age (as all tyres tend to do), but I was comparing them with a fresh set of very expensive tyres and they more than held their own.

It is very hard to look past Kumho when it comes to bang for your buck on tyres. Good grip, good lifespan, low noise.

I'm on the lookout for another set of kumhos for my daily now.

Edited by tinto

I'll add to this thread.

Tyre: Maxxis MA-V1

Size: 235/45/17 front and rear

Car: 180sx

Driving: Mostly street driving with some occasional twisty bits thrown in

Price: $120+ (2009)

Have been running these (very common tyre and I see heaps using them) for the past 3 years and have put more than 40,000km on them.

They are of course very old now with heaps of heat cycling in them. They've become VERY noisy and even kick the arse end out when accelerating on dry tarmac despite the fact they are about 2-3mm above the wear markers (religious rotation).

When new however, they gave decent grip in the dry and cut through standing water well. Still spin the wheels in the wet though but they're a cheap tyre so no complaints there. So with 3 years of DDing and spirited driving here and there, its good enough a tyre to keep the budget conscious happy.

I'll soon be moving onto some Kumho KU39s - Kumho's supposed top tier tyre for street duties - and will give an update here should this thread remain active.

Edited by Omae Aho Ka

Tyre: Bridgestone RE002

Size: 215/45/17

Car:

Driving:

Price:

After buying re002's i dont think ill use any other tyres in the future. completely transformed the feel of the car. i noticed more of a difference going from 215/45/17 maxis($145) to 215/45/17 re002's(220) than i did going from stock susp and springs to new kyb's and kings. i even put 4 on my partners stock mazda 2.

I still love my RE001's, but will probably look to get 002's next time I grab tyres.

Edited by normality

I still love my RE001's, but will probably look to get 002's next time I grab tyres.

yeah i love my re001's as well, but if you google it heaps of people have had dramas with them.. i havent used EVERY kind of tyre, but as far as streeters go, the re001's have been the best for me.. a good indication of their grip level is i have done quite a few track days on them, and i am quite a few seconds in front of other s13's on street tyres, and only a few seconds behind s13's on semi slicks..

take that how you will..

yeah i love my re001's as well, but if you google it heaps of people have had dramas with them.. i havent used EVERY kind of tyre, but as far as streeters go, the re001's have been the best for me.. a good indication of their grip level is i have done quite a few track days on them, and i am quite a few seconds in front of other s13's on street tyres, and only a few seconds behind s13's on semi slicks..

take that how you will..

I had a look around on a tyre review thread and a lot of people seemed really really happy with the re002's. As you said though, there are always going to be some people who aren't happy with them. It's just a matter of getting them at a half decent price in 225/40/r18...$400 a pop isn't on the cheaper end of the scale haha

yeah, im talking about the re001's, and to be fair, i have no idea how expensive they are.. iv got a mate at a tyre place that hooked them up for 150 each which is cheap as chips..

yeah i've had re001's on the ass end before..they went well..until there wasn't much tread left haha i think back when i got them they were around $320 a pop

Another vote for Kumho KU31s. got 255/35/18 and 235/40/18 for $900. Compared to 235/40/17 and 215/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4 which cost me just on 1k. Kumhos had better turn in and seemingly more grip but I dont want to say too much in case it was thanks to the overall larger rubber I was using.

I have the toyos back on now and they let go at the smell of rain. literally had the ass end of my car blown loose in that crazy wind sydney had last week. going around a round about and a big gust just pushed it out (road was wet). Kept it in the lane though :lol:

I have Advan AD08's - 275/35/19. Quite an expensive tyre (especially due to the size) but they still grip, even with 420rwkw.

Fantastic tyre.

I have run ku31 also, would recommend also but nexen n6000 is on the same level wether it's raining or dry IMO

I run stock (15 x 6) rims for the street and its getting difficult to get decent tyres to suit (205/60). Currently have Dunlop SP Sports 01, these seem to be a good compromise for daily street driving, generally good grip in the wet and dry and low on noise, they're about $170 a corner, treadwear utqg 220 so I think I'll get 25-30000ks from them.Fairly good ride due to the profile.

For the track I'm running 225 & 255 17" Federal 595 RSRs, really impressed with these for the price, very progressive lateral grip & give a fair bit of warning before they let go, for track work prefer them over Falken RT615s, Kumho KU36 & Bridgestone RE070s that I've had previously and yeah they are a bit noisey.

245/45r18..

Previously had Bridgestone Potenza re050 which were pretty good. Even at very very low tread they had decent grip. I went through a pair too quick though and decided to get something a bit cheaper.

Now have Falken ze502 which were $200 each instead of $400+each for Potenza's. So far so good, they aren't an amazing looking tyre but are very grippy in the dry, not perfect in the wet, but great for the price.

I've also heard good things about kumho ku31's.

Had toyo proxies and they were good

Now have nitto invo and wow!! Cars softer on bumps and takes corners nicely! Have not tested traction or wet

But being able to go over bumps that I would normally have to slow right down for has saved me from having to change springs cause there too hard

and previously have had pirelli, dunlop, and falkens on the silvias.

found dunlops to be nearly equal to pirellis grip

comfort was not a issue back then, but now it is as i have a baby in the back seat.

Currently have re001 and love them, especially as i previously had dirt cheap tyres for a roadworthy. Good grip dry and wet.

I think it'd be worthwhile having a few common things in each review and a standardised layout such as the following:

Tyre: Kumho KU-31

Size: 235/45/17

Car: Ford BF Falcon XR6 (optional)

Driving: Standard commuting with the odd 'oh the corners in these hills flow nicely' but nothing wild (optional)

Price: $130 a corner (optional)

Good all round grip on a barge of a vehicle, they've done 20,000kms so far in the wet & dry, freezing cold to stinking hot and still have plenty of tread. Not very noisy compared my very last tyres (Federal 595s). Rotate every 10,000kms for maximum life.

If you like the above or have suggestions let me know and I'll edit the posts that have reviews to include that layout, will also include that template in OP for others to use.

Yeah I think the layout is a good idea, even better that it has a price so you know what to expect and not get ripped off