Sign in to follow this  
chris_c30

sr20 torque damper

was just looking at easy bolt on upgrades and engine torque dampers came into mind, what are the pros and cons and is it even worth it?

Pros

Can help slightly with gear shifts when flogging it. (to be honest stiffer gearbox / engine mounts achieve more)

Easier to install than aftermarket engine mounts.

Cheap.

Cons

May not notice anything if you already are running stiffer engine mounts.

May not fit if you switch to a top mount turbo. (mine didnt.)

Pros : shiny

Cons : cost money

Haha basically yeah, if fancy bolt on is the type of thing your into then go for it.

You will most likely not even notice that its fitted apart from when the bonnet is up

I had one before i put the hardrace engine and gearbox mounts in, it just makes noise and not much better response, the mounts are a better upgrade but the dampener is ok until you could be bothered doing your mounts.

nah me and my mate were talking about it they look cool and i can see the point i just didn't know how effective they are pretty cheap, doesn't sound too bad considering how cheap they are even if itsonly a small upgrade and a little bit of wank factor

I got mine when my engine mounts were shagged. Def felt a difference then. After I put the Nismo mounts in felt a massive difference.

My point- engine dampener for a cheap band aid short term fix.

New stiffer engine mounts for a long term fix with better outcome, but more money.

Most of the dampers on the market aren't shocks as you would think/hope if you take them apart they usualy have a big chunk of hard plastic inside. there more like welding a bar to the top of your engine & then to the top of the strut tower.....

as everyone said they make a difference if you have factory or shagged engine/gearbox mounts, help with gear changes a little. but not overly good for your car in the long run, better off using the money towards better mounts.

Edited by PRYMORTAL

yeah that's the kind of info i wanted can't be too good for it restricting movement that much