Sign in to follow this  
N.Hayes

RB20det cam sensor damage

Putting the cam sensor back on the RB after putting the top timming belt cover back on. I must not have had the splines lined up correctly and managed to snap the half circle locater off the motor side of the cam sensor (hope that makes sense)

Removed the broken piece an fit the cam sensor back in the correct position, runs as it did before.

Question is, not having that half circle locater on the motor side of the cam sensor, is this going to cause any damage or stress to cam sensor or damage motor in any way ect?

It will be fine with out it, it just makes it a pain in the arse when removing and refitting cam sensor from now on.

Also I haven't broken one yet, but I've worked on a few that have had them broken. I just check everyone now to make sure the sensor goes in correctly, instead of jamming it in and hoping the locator does its job lol

Edited by JLTS13

Update on this. Left Gold Coast friday morning making my way back to Adelaide. Got 75 ks down the road an it stopped running as if it had ran out of fuel (it had not ran out) mechanic said to replace the cam sensor & ignitor so tracked down some second hand ones fit an ran fine.

Next day got about 400 ks an stopped running as if it had ran out of fuel again. Got towed by the old man from Tamworth to Bordertown SA (1500ks)

Took the cam sensor off an the shaft had broken in half. Put the original sensor back in an it runs, but misses like crazy.......

Have been thinking of replacing the cams........ HELP

It will be fine with out it, it just makes it a pain in the arse when removing and refitting cam sensor from now on.

Also I haven't broken one yet, but I've worked on a few that have had them broken. I just check everyone now to make sure the sensor goes in correctly, instead of jamming it in and hoping the locator does its job lol

How sure are you it wount keep messing up the CAS? Ive got a new one in it now, runs fine again. Just keep thinking it will stop working after a while again..

it's purely there for alignment, if it's broken makes no difference if the cam sensor is on right

How sure are you it wount keep messing up the CAS? Ive got a new one in it now, runs fine again. Just keep thinking it will stop working after a while again..

Update

Figured since crank angle sensors keep f*cking out id invest in a better trigger kit. Garage 7 on the case.

Stock CASs are shit!

Update

Figured since crank angle sensors keep f*cking out id invest in a better trigger kit. Garage 7 on the case.

Stock CASs are shit!

What makes you say that? you're just wasting money on a crank trigger kit for a relatively mild setup.

Especially when that kit cost more than your motor.