Sign in to follow this  
tripsteady

Making power safely - RB25DET

Hi Guys

So I'm planning to turn up the boost soon to about 16-18psi with a high flow and supporting mods

Getting a service done, wanted to make sure the engine is built to handle it and will pump out 250rwkw all day every day reliably.

This is what I've changed/am changing for "insurance" and my power goals so far

- full 100k service done , gates racing timing belt

- full fluid flush

- exhaust manifold studs upgraded to toyota ones

- splitfires

- metal intake to turbo

- blitz return flow intercooler

- 3inch exhaust from turbo back , gtr cat

- ebc & gauge

- new vacuum lines(old ones are cracking and brittle)

- new 52mm ASI radiator

- new breather hoses

- new radiator hoses

- new rocker cover gaskets

- walbro 255lph fuel pump

- nismo 550cc injectors

- z32 afm

- craig davies transmission cooler

- mv automatics stage 2 valve body upgrade

- still deciding on tuner/engine management

Only current issues :

- Idle hunting at any temperature, never stalls

- When starting cold , sputters and low revs , needs a push of the pedal to "catch - claned AAC , cold start valve , TB etc...

- Oil Leaking around rocker covers

What are the other weak points of the RB25DET that I should address before I put some serious power through it?

I know many have made 250rwkw easily on an upopened average RB with no issues whatsoever. Just looking for what I can do to ensure reliability without opening her up as this is my daily and I want to put my foot down at any time with full confidence.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Edited by tripsteady

why are you posting here, you are active on the SAU forum.. not to mention you'll get better responses too

I wouldn't say anything list is "building" a motor.

Just FYI a stock RB25DET will run 300kW at the rears unopened.. 250kW is nothing

why are you posting here, you are active on the SAU forum.. not to mention you'll get better responses too

I wouldn't say anything list is "building" a motor.

Just FYI a stock RB25DET will run 300kW at the rears unopened.. 250kW is nothing

I'm very active on SAU :) Its not the busiest forum in the world though but I do get good responses. I find the responses are varied among different forums giving me a better overall view, therefore I post there and here.

This is my weekend driver but my only car , I cant really afford a full engine rebuild if this engine fails. As stated at the end of my post , Im aware that many have made that power without doing anything but bolt ons to the RB , I just want to know what other preventative measure I can take , what are the known weak points of the RB that tends to fail under higher boost, so I can rectify them before I do any damage.

Also , I know a compression test will give me a indication of the health of the motor , but it seems to be running well , and even if it is shown to be poor , i wont be rebuilding it anyway( all the compression test will do is give me something to worry about if i do find something wrong)

it's not high boost that blows up these motors, it's crappy tunes that do it.. R33 RB25DETs like to smash ringlands

noted

yeh 250kw isnt realy pushing a 25 if its healthy

yeh 250kw isnt realy pushing a 25 if its healthy

I have maintained it as best I could (never boosted above 12, oil change + filter every 5000km etc, always check coolant and oil level . always warm car up and check oil pressure before boosting) so hopefully it shall last me many more thousands of km's smile.png

Mines running 210kw without any mods - Standard turbo - Spitfire coil packs, fuel pump and ECU.

Runs it safely everyday.

I don't think you will have an issue at all.

Mines running 210kw without any mods - Standard turbo - Spitfire coil packs, fuel pump and ECU.

Runs it safely everyday.

I don't think you will have an issue at all.

You must have a manual, no way would an auto see those kind of numbers on a stock turbo.

Yes it's a manual.

List of engine related mods:

Walbro 255lph pump

Greddy FMIC

Spitfire Coils

Drift POD

Sard Fuel Reg

Haltech platinum Pro

IQ3 Data dash

That's it - 100% stock.

Few sensors for warnings, oil cooler etc.

Runs great at like 11psi.

Goes extremely well in the S13 shell stripped. Looking forward to upgrade, but not for a while.

Edited by OHN.050